Friday, 3 May 2013

Completed Costume Pictures

Hey all!

So I had a super awesome time at the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo where I got to wear my Samus costume for the first time! It was amaaaazing and I totally felt like a celebrity!

I entered the costume contest and because it was my first time I've ever entered a contest, I got put into the Novice category where I won Best Costume! It was truly an amazing experience and I hope to inspire others to make some power suits for themselves so they too can experience what I did!

Here are some pics of my completed costume at the expo!









 

Here is a video by Will Phan giving his definition on what cosplay is. You can find me at 1:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C8WonwdQtM
Thanks Will!

And another video of the costume contest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn6NTRROXBE
Thanks to seacanman for that!

Monday, 15 April 2013

Finished

Eeeeeee!! I'm done! 5 months of work with lots of time put into it, some frustration but a lot of reward. Here's some pics of the completed suit.


 

I have just a few minor things I want to tweak (ie. the helmet fogging up and the knee plates) but other then that, this costume is Comic-Con ready!

I'll be putting up some more pics of the suit with some tweaks and upgrades but I wanted and also hopefully get some professional pictures taken!

Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Completed the Helmet!

Yay! Got the helmet done! It was definitely a learning experience for me because I was working with materials I've never handled before.

A re-cap on how it was all made:

The base of the helmet was made with the help of pepakura. To get the correct shape I used two different pepakura files. The front portion of the helmet was used with the file from the Nintendo papercraft website. Link here: http://nintendopapercraft.blogspot.ca/2009/03/samus-aran.html

The rest of the helmet was made using the file from TetraVariations. Link here: http://ca.etsy.com/listing/105985079/metroid-papercraft-pattern-full-size?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_query=samus+pepakura&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=CA&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=samus+pepakura

The child size worked best for me. I did have to do some modifying to the back and the sides of the helmet to make it less elongated.

Here's some pics:



 

The tubing is just garden hose tubing, used to protect it or something... not really sure I kinda just found it laying around in the garage.

Once I had the base of the helmet completed I got some fiber glass and applied the fiber glass resin to the outside, without the cloth. Once it hardened I applied fiber glass on the inside with the cloth. Tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7T8rypEqs8

When the helmet was strengthened with fiber glass I applied Bondo Automotive Body Filler to the outside. Once this hardens, it will not only make the helmet more strong, but also allow me to sand it and smooth out any lines.

Here's what it looked like during the process:
   

When it hardened I sanded it using multiple tools first starting with a dremel to get all the rougher points then switching between course and very fine sandpaper. Tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etHv8PYzu1M

After about 4 hours of sanding I decided it was looking pretty good. It wasn't perfect, up close you can see some dents and scratches but I'm not really striving for perfection, I just want it to be good.

Here's what it looks like right after it was sanded:



I got some filler primer and did a couple coats of that, then applied the red paint.

 

I then did the fine detail work and drew in the lines n' stuff.

 

The visor portion is plastic tinted with RIT dye.

And for the final touch... I added padding to the inside... and lights!



Sweet! Almost done the entire costume. Next update you will see the completed masterpiece!

Friday, 22 February 2013

85% complete! Just a little more to go...

Almost there! Everything is starting to come together. I completed the shoulders.

Here's what they look like unpainted

 

They were done using pepakura as a guideline for my foam cut outs.


I got a cheap leather glove and painted it the same way as the rest of my armor by using Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric as a primer and then orange automotive paint.


 

And I installed a segment of green LEDs into the circle thingy.




Then I grabbed some old leather boots I had laying around that I never really wore.  Painted them orange to get my Samus shoes!




Oooooo... Shiny....

And here's what it all looks like so far!


 
 What I have left is:
 1) Fibreglass and finish the helmet
2) Install the lights into the whole suit and also the helmet
3) Sew together the jumpsuit underneath
4) Attach the upper leg and upper arm armor to the jumpsuit so they don't slip (they are slipping in the pictures) 

I imagine I will be completed all of this in a month or less! So more updates coming along with the finished suit.

Thursday, 24 January 2013

Let there be light!

Adding some LEDs...

I bought some orange and green LED strips online. I had to learn how to solder so I could wire everything correctly. Here is what the gun looks like.


 

Here's an update of the torso, redone in EVA foam instead of craft foam.

 

And a taste of the green LEDs


 

That's all for now! More updates soon.